Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

from the smoker

Thread starter #38

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'm reviving this thread since I did up another batch of cheese last night. 6 different types went into the Bradley using my cold smoking attachment. The attachment worked like a hot... I mean ...cold damn. I monitored the temp inside and it hovered around 70F for the whole time. So it's all wrapped up and in the fridge and all I have to do is wait a month. Luckily, I made this batch with 7 or 8 hunks of my previous batch still to go. It's looking like I might have smoked cheddar on the burgers to celebrate July 4th for the Americans in my clan.

I didn't take pics since they are pretty boring after doing it twice before. Just scroll up to see pics of smoked cheese.

Thread starter #41

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru, it's a box that you attach the control unit to that has a 2 ft. flex hose (about 5 inches in diameter) that runs top the smoker. This allows the heating element to be outside the smoker and not effect the temperature in the smoker itself. Pretty slick unit Mike told me about.

I can lend it to you sometime if you want to do some cheese.

Leaseman

Staff member
Dru, let me know if you'd like to use the cold smoke attachment.
Charge him rent Phil! :highly_amused:

Some good home cure might fit the bill.......small wink

While I have the attachment, I do most of my cheese in winter and haven't had to use it much....yet!

If you haven't done cheese before Dru, biggest thing is make sure you double wrap it in saran wrap and let it sit for 6 weeks minimum....it needs time for the smoke to get deep in the cheese......we just had a couple of pieces that I held from last YEAR! Was great!

Did some spicy pieces for Denise the end of October....will be trying them in another few weeks!:Oh Yeah!:

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
Mike,

I did a bunch last year. it melted a bit because I "multitasked" .... but I have 6 bars of cheddar I will be doing here really soon... at night in the cold..
last time I heeded your advice about letting it sit... but we chryovaced it instead of saran wrap.... it was very tasty stuff, so tasty 6 of the bars came from my aunt! she wants me to smoke them... so I bough 3 more for myself.
I watch the cheese sales, every now and again it goes on sale for the big bars......

I was going to smoke it for 2 hours and have a bowl of ice on the bottom rack to keep it extra cold... night time temps are 1-2 deg if not colder...

Leaseman

Staff member
Mike,

I did a bunch last year. it melted a bit because I "multitasked" .... but I have 6 bars of cheddar I will be doing here really soon... at night in the cold..
last time I heeded your advice about letting it sit... but we chryovaced it instead of saran wrap.... it was very tasty stuff, so tasty 6 of the bars came from my aunt! she wants me to smoke them... so I bough 3 more for myself.
I watch the cheese sales, every now and again it goes on sale for the big bars......

I was going to smoke it for 2 hours and have a bowl of ice on the bottom rack to keep it extra cold... night time temps are 1-2 deg if not colder...
Cryovac probably speeds up the process quite well! :Oh Yeah!:

I also turn mine over at the one hour mark......

Thread starter #52

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Mike, I actually had a small amount that molded on me. All were double wrapped so I'm not sure why some molded and some did not. I have two pieces, from my first run of cheese, that was sealed with a foodsaver that are still in perfect condition. These two are nearing the 1 year mark so we will seal in a vacuum sealer from now on.

One thing to note is the packages that molded had more than one piece of cheese in the wrapping. Perhaps the small amount of air that was trapped in the nooks and crevices are what caused the problem.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd