Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

First go at some ham

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Well my son called me up and asked me to smoke a few ham for him. This will be from two of the pigs he raised this summer and fall harvested. He need it for the weekend so I'm gonna try a cooked ham. This will be without preservatives so I will need to get the internal temp up to 156F I believe it is. The ham will want to be eaten or frozen fairly quickly since it is preservative free.

I'll try to remember to take pics and post my process as I go along.

I'd like to get some of those string bags that butchers use to suspend their hams for smoking. It holds the meat up off the rack and gives a cool checker pattern to the ham.

Dan, where would a guy come up with some of that?

Phil - those are pretty hard to come by unless you know someone in a commercial smoking facility. It's called "Jet-net" and is elasticized. We used a smalle version when I was in Nanaimo, but it is too small for a whole ham.

I suggest you use cheese cloth and make a bag out of that. It works really well and peels off easily.

Phil - when you hang the ham(s) in the smoker I strongly suggest that you hang them "hock down"

That way the weight of the ham compresses the hock and makes for a more compact finish product. See all the hams hanging in this photo? They are all hung in the "hock down" position..... and note that cheese cloth is used for the bags. small wink

kites-smokehouse--700x467.jpg

Dru

This IS My Life
if I could get let into that place Dan! I love ham....

Phil,
pics are required or you get Banned....
But! why don't you smoke it the day before he needs it.. or two... Brine it, smoke for a day on high and stuff it in the fridge right away... The smoke on the outside will kill all the bacteria that may be on the meat. Then he can cook it to 165-175 in his oven.... pretty much all big hams are "uncooked"

Thread starter #10

philcott

Mucho Gusto
if I could get let into that place Dan! I love ham....

Phil,
pics are required or you get Banned....
But! why don't you smoke it the day before he needs it.. or two... Brine it, smoke for a day on high and stuff it in the fridge right away... The smoke on the outside will kill all the bacteria that may be on the meat. Then he can cook it to 165-175 in his oven.... pretty much all big hams are "uncooked"
Dru, Dru, Dru, are these the words of one who wants in on next years swine fest??? Banning is not a good way to get on the pig list.

The rest of what you said above is basically what I'm doing. I'll brine tonight, smoke tomorrow, put in fridge and they'll be consumed Friday or saturday..

We'll see how it all goes for a first run.

- - - Updated - - -

Pics of brineing, although quite boring will be taken this evening.

Dan thanks for the hanging tips. These are not full hams but smaller ones that were cut out of the full ham to make handling easier.

Dru

This IS My Life
Phil,

What are you Brining it in?

I had always wanted to do a ham, but I gotta either get another pig or shoot a bear.... or brine and smoke a moose roast...???
but Brine time,,, lots of people brine for a very long time.... then there is pink salt... what part does it play?

I was sorta thinking a simple white sugar and salt and H2O brine for 7-10 days in my outside fridge, so the temp stays consistant.... no Pink salt....
then a day of smoke and a cook in the oven with a Brown sugar and mustard glaze with a bunch of cloves.....

Thread starter #17

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dru. I'm not using pink salt to I need to get the internal up to temp. Should be no problem in the bradley. I'm using a dry brine rub. I'll fill you in as I go along.

What I'm making this time is really more of a smoked and cooked ham.

Dru

This IS My Life
looks tasty Phil....

doesn't look traditional tho? looks like a pulled pork type thing... the red in the rub is what im talking about....

oh,,,, and ppppllleeeaaaseee! get me in on next year pig!
You are on The List at the last place you got one from.
Discussed the matter with him, and he suggests he will indeed be kicking up the livestock end of things over the next year. Good News!

I actually have to head down that way for about a week in January. Trail cams in that area showed a huge increase in the racoon population. Snares and traps should remedy that fairly quickly! Then time to reintroduce the big Duck-Ducks and Chickens again!! small wink

Over 40 pounds of ham material from the bear landed with Pete (Pete's Mountain Meats) a day or two ago. He is so inexpensive, and does such a great job, I've simply never felt the inclination...

Looking Good Phil! Be interesting to see the final product! :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom