Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Favorite Chorizo recipe?

Thread starter #1

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I'm on the hunt for a good portuguese chorizo recipe, I might try a mexican one too, but my GF can't take too much heat, so the more potent chiles in a mexican one might be a bad idea.

I've foundseveral recipes that are wildly different than eachother (like some with red wine, some without), so I'm trying to find a good tried and true one to use a starting point and then I can modify from there.

I'll be using bear meat FWIW.

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
I worked for a long time with a Philippine meat shop owner who made a fresh sausage that he called Chorizo - but it was not hot at all. It was chunky pork, mixed with sugar, paprika, lotttsa fresh pounded garlic, soya sauce, pepper.

Really, really tasty. The sweetness came through, along with the fresh garlic and soya sauce.

Absolutely fantastic in a bun with some fried onions,.

Thread starter #5

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Not at all what I had in mind, but I do really like the sound of that.
Chunky pork as in not ground, just kind of chopped/diced? One of the oldschool portuguese customers I have at work I've been badgering for a recipe for 4 years says thats how they do theirs. Their sausage stuffing method is a funnel and a wooden spoon handle too, lol. It's their family method, having come from very humble beginnings they couldn't afford a meat grinder/stuffer. Apparently it's incredibly good, hopefully one day he delivers on his promise of getting me a copy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Rumour has it that you are incredibly patient and/or stubborn.

I'm sure you'll finally get that recipe.

Yes, the meat is coarsely chopped by hand - like a very coarse grinding, and then mixed by hand and stuffed the olde school way as well. Something about the smashed/pounded fresh garlic cloves (not diced or minced) mixed with soya sauce gives is a mellow sweetness that is fantastic.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)