Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Does anyone can their bounty?

Thread starter #42

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I have to say I haven't fished a searun so I can't really give you an opinion on it. I like my steelheader but it does take getting used to the physics of how the line comes off it when casting. You need to know the line only comes off as the spool unwinds and if you cast too fast for it to unwind your tackle will come back at you. In other words the line doesn't just peel off the reel like it does on a spinning reel. This will limit the distance you can cast but with practice you can do ok.

Steelwheels

Giddy-Up-Go
The Searun with its different clicker control was my main point.. How often does a person really use it.. A buddy of mine loves his Steelheader.... I have tried it a little and it does take some time to make the transition from my Levelwinds.. Just looking for options and reasons to add the 3113 to my collection.. 4120 .. 3106.. And a 1290 RPLX blank made into a drift rod.. My favorite for Cohos on the Stamp..
Not sure a slider seat will work well so I'm thinking it will be a dedicated Centrepin rod..
Thanks

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I'm in the market for a pressure canner/cooker.

I'd like to be able to use it for both canning and straight-up pressure cooking.

What should I be looking for?

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Cambodian tire has them for 80$
Yes, they have a whole bunch of them. The nice big 22 quart one looks good, but in one of the reviews a lady says it is the worst for pressure-canning; she hates it.

Do I need one that big, or is a 6 or 8 quart sufficient?

Dru

This IS My Life
go big,,,, that way when you can you are able to do a bunch. I find when you get it all set up it is nice to just giver' fish in the little jars takes 110 minutes a batch .. so its nice to do the biggest batch you can can! lol

i dont know enough about the canner itself to say how they differ... i have used 2
both have a locking mechinism both had a gauge, both had pressure relief valves ... one had a "Warnign rocker" thinger that i liked.. it rocks when the canner hits 15lbs we canned at 11lbs.... the rocker stops you from getting blown up.

Thread starter #48

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'm not sure what size our is but we can do 18 pint jars (2 levels of 9 jars) at a time. That's quite a bit of salmon but as mentioned while your doing it you might as well get a bunch done. When Dru said it takes 110 minutes he is telling you how long the canner needs to be at 11lbs. It takes us 15-20 minutes to get the canner vented and the pressure up to where we start the timer. Once the 110 minutes is done you have to turn off the heat and let the canner cool to "0" pressure before opening . This is about another 20 minutes for us. So all in all it's about 3 hours just in the canner. 2 batches with prep and clean up is a good 8 hours so you want to get as many jars done at a time as you can.

We don't cook in our canner but as long as you clean up well I'm sure it would do the trick.

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Thanks guys. In the meantime I have been doing some reading. Like everything else, the Internet has a ridiculous amount of info on pressure cookers. I never imagined it was this popular.

It looks like I will need two cookers, at the very least. One huge one for canning and another for preparing meals. Various sites I found say that the huge ones are impractical for cooking.

CT has the 6 and 8 quart ones on for half price right now, so I will take advantage of the sale and keep my eye out for a huge one for canning. My mother might even have one she doesn't use any more...

Cheers!

PS - I am going to try this tonight (sorry for going off-topic)... http://www.hippressurecooking.com/c...sustainable-stew-from-your-pressure-cooker-2/

Last edited:

Dru

This IS My Life
gotter otter!
Thanks, This was what dad does.... except i dont think we rinsed the fish off..... maybe we did??? but definatly let it stand or a while to "Tack up"
now that im typing this i think we did rinse it off?. Your ratio of salt and sugar was another part i had forgot...

i will most definatly post it....
But what i am going to do is half smoke it and then can it. We have a half of a 20 lb Chinook i will smake all the way........ Aparently when you smoke can fish you only want to smoke it half way or it winds up dry.

Thread starter #56

philcott

Mucho Gusto
We rinse the fish only enough to get any remaining brine off of it.

I've never tried smoking then canning. Will you fully brine it then only half smoke? Let me know how yours turns out.

I can send you a recipe for indian candy that we made up. It turned out great. Got the recipe from Adriaticum on HBC.

Dru

This IS My Life
i dont really know what im doing Phil, I am going to google a bit longer.... all i know is people who smoke can salmon have said to only half smoke it just to get the smoke flavour in to it...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom