Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Does anyone can their bounty?

Thread starter #1

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I canned up a bunch of sockeye and pinks on the weekend and was wondering if anyone else cans their harvest of fish. We usually smoke some up and put a few whole in the freezer for BBQ'n but I also love to take a jar of home canned salmon to work for lunch. Not only is it tasty but I get to relive the fish all over again.

I also canned up some venison that I was finding too tough to be enjoyable hoping the process would helped tenderize the meat. I'll open a jar tonight to see if the high heat and pressure did the trick. I'll let you all know.

Sure smelled good in the kitchen with both the fish and meat smells.

I'll have to count but I did up about 18 pints of meat, 9 pints and 16 half pints of fish. That should stock the larder for a bit.

Dru

This IS My Life
We do,,, Did a bunch of Pink last year... Dad is on the Warpath Right now For Sockeye past Campbell.....
There was a guy here or there who canned Dinners to take hunting.... Stew,, Alfredo... etc...
I am going to can Some sockeye and other fish he gets both smoke canned and normal.... And i am going to Can my stew this year as well.
The whole idea of canning hit home when we lost our Deepfreeze this year... its another level of preserving..

Thread starter #3

philcott

Mucho Gusto
It is another great way to preserve.

I'll get 25 or so jars of homemade salsa done when the field tomatoes go on cheap and I'll make some more hot pickled carrots too. So much to try. Camp meals to come.

Dru

This IS My Life
one of my things i am going to do next year is Grow pasta sauce.... Tomatoes and onions and herbs and stuff then can it....
I need to move my tomatoes,, they dont get full sun.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
one of my things i am going to do next year is Grow pasta sauce.... Tomatoes and onions and herbs and stuff then can it....
I need to move my tomatoes,, they dont get full sun.
Not sure about your spot in relation to sun exposure, but I seem to do well with mine even though some are shaded by other plants like climbing beans. I always cut off the suckers and as the fruit matures I cut off the leafed branches below the fruit, progressing up the staked plant as the fruit develops. I have 2 cherry tomato plants that are about 8 ft high with fruit developing up to 6-7 ft high.

G

G2BC

I'm ashamed of my garden this year.
Has been a semi failure for me.

I have some plans for next year

Thread starter #8

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Like Lew said you gotta cut off the suckers as we as at a certain point cut the new shoots bearing flowers as they won't mature before you need to cut them down anyway.

Around this time of year I start spraying a copper solution on my tomatoes or I will get late season blight and loose ALL the tomatoes in like three days. The copper is not a problem but I will was everything well before eating. The other way is to have an overhead protection so rain and dew doesn't get on the plants. Some day I build a cover.

J

Jeff

I had some canned deer from my buddy freestyles dad ...some of the best flavoured meat ive ever had .....anyone else can the game meat???

Big Lew

This IS My Life
We usually can much of our salmon and large trout. A sister-in-law canned venison for years, but she had all the proper equipment for sealing the cans etc.
As for my comment about tomato plant pruning, I not only remove the suckers from the base of the main stem, I also clip all the suckers that sprout from the branch-main stem junctions. I call them 'armpit suckers'.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
"philcott", how do you can your venison, in bottles or in cans?
I have a correction regarding my tomato plants....I just went out and measured them. One is just over 10 ft high with formed fruit up to 9 ft. The next tallest is 9 ft with formed fruit up to 8 ft. My wife bottle preserves tomato sauce and many types of fruit and jams. She is considering bottling some venison from our next deer or moose.

J

Jeff

I have a correction regarding my tomato plants....I just went out and measured them. One is just over 10 ft high with formed fruit up to 9 ft. The next tallest is 9 ft with formed fruit up to 8 ft. My wife bottle preserves tomato sauce and many types of fruit and jams. She is considering bottling some venison from our next deer or moose.
we got a member on here named freestyle ....his dad cans the best ive ever had ....it was soo trnder and flavorfull ..I just couldn't believe canned meat could be so good...

Thread starter #15

philcott

Mucho Gusto
How do you make the hot pickled carrots philcott?
It's just a light blanching then immerse in vinegar/dried chilli peppers/peppercorns and a garlic clove in each jar.

I'll try to remember to put the actual recipe on if you'd like.

- - - Updated - - -

She is considering bottling some venison from our next deer or moose.
I used the glass pint jars. This was our first time doing meat so it's a bit of an experiment.

- - - Updated - - -

...it was soo trnder and flavorfull ..I just couldn't believe canned meat could be so good...
That's what I'm hoping for, Jeff.

Dru

This IS My Life
Meat is the best thing to can! But a Pressure canner makes it easy.... Which makes me feel better as well..... there is a million recipies online too......
Im sure Ali has a Few in the Cook Book as well..... i am going to look into it here soon!

Dru

This IS My Life
that is all we did as well..... just a pinch of salt...... it was Pink salmon...... and bleed'n tasty!!!!
Doing Sockeye here this year!!!!!! Thanks to dad!

Thread starter #19

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Thrifty's has sockeye on "two for one" so if you don't have a boat now is the time to get some. We canned up another 16 half pints and 6 pints last night.

I also tried the canned venison that was tough and quite unpleasant to eat. Holy guacamole it's great now. I'm sure glad I tried the canning of it. It was flavourful and tender and the silver sinu has disappeared.

If you haven't tried canning any meat do yourself a favour and try it.

Dru

This IS My Life
A friend of mine Tom, From Ukee.... Bless his sole!
Used to can bear,,,, an entire bear.. he shot one a year... I was told it was awesome..... i never tryed any .. his meat handeling skills ( where he stored it ) was .......... less then par!

Tom was a great guy,,, he was happy when he got Gettin drunk down to twice a day! lol but he was a great guy! helped anyone who needed helpin' always had a warm Okeefs High test in the closet for ya when you visited ( i classed these like the bear! lol i always said nop thanks )....... Shot his bears one shot with a .243...

Dru

This IS My Life
Canning is not only a great way to preserve and iot is not only tasty ,, but it is Easy and convieniant to eat .......
how many of you have reached into the bottom of the freezer in Early September and scrounged up that last bit of stew..... opened the paper to find a shriveled up brown freezer burned carcas??? Im thinking that canning stew ...... Boiling off the bones in a huge pot outside and canning that..... will not only keep forever,,,, but when i want a pulled meat sandwitch for a fast dinner...... there you go! or a stew......

when i get my shelves built in the garage.... im gonna fillum!
And when the bigone hits or the power goes down for days..... im good!

Thread starter #24

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Thought I show the fruits of our labour. (please let me know if the pics don't show up)

Smoked some pink that my son caught in the Campbell River

Display of the canned stuff on our table

Close up of the canned venison and spicy pickled carrots

Sockeye ready for the winter

- - - Updated - - -

All marked

Close up of grapes. They're quite sweet now.

Excess will soon be made into wine

Dru

This IS My Life
Seriously though....
it really is a good idea..... i am not a "Doomsday" prepper.....
But living on the coast here... we ARE expecting a big Quake... it might not happen when i am here but it might happen as well....
so Canning will preserve your stuff for 2 reasons.....

Thread starter #29

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Did up some more jars as well as smoked and candied some sockeye and chinook

All cut up and looking so red and beautiful.

Brine on half of the fish.

One nicely filled jar.

Salting.

I like to do pint jars if I have enough fish. Easier to feed a family with the big jars.

Thread starter #30

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Fresh out of the smoker

Chinook candy all brined and drying.

My first indian candy turned out quite nice.

Shiny and sweet.

THis is an old family favourite. Salmon on toast. MMM mmm mm, just like my momma used to make it.

Dru

This IS My Life
Dam Phil, That looks awsome!
i will have Bradley on Saturday.... i still got some sockeye to smoke and can.... Dad should be back from Nit Nat today or tomorrow ... hopefully with 4x 15+lb Chinook

Dru

This IS My Life
no he is in a 21' Campion at the other end... they do it every year.. me and Ange used to go... but the trip is too big for Emma.
He sleeps on the boat and eats crab and drinks wine.....

Dad does a candy ..... but he always did it in his burned out little cheif.... i used that smoker when i was 14... we needed an upgrade!

Thread starter #34

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Well you picked up a great smoker.

I was thinking about trying to get to the river this weekend. Prolly won't happen but I'll dream about it.

I'd take my rifle and my 3113.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)