Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

Dehydrator

Thread starter #37

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
I was thinking of using JP5 or J1 hahahahaha totally kidding, that stuff is expensive as hell and JP5 is dirty lol...So by white gas you mean stuff like Naptha eh? That stuff you get in 2L cans from CT?

Thread starter #41

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Haven't even touched it yet lol. Daughter had one tiny slice, loved it. Now its going into ziplock's...I may have to sample it however prior hahaha

KTownKiller

This IS My Life
Remember, if some pieces are a little too dry, just let them sit in the bag a few days at room temp. They won't go bad, if people can leave them alone. LOL

I'm impressed you have such control over your daughter! :rolleyes: I can hardly keep my ladies out of the stuff! And they wonder why I bring 3 at a time! :Doh!:

Smokercraft

We've dyhdrated a fair bit. One meal we found that worked pretty good is fajitas. Chicken chunks seasoned cooked then dried along with some onions and peppers seasoned and cooked lightly. Then throw into the dehydrator. Bring a pack of flour wraps and some grated cheese. You can easily eat like a king on the trail. Moisten the ingredients in a pot on your whisperlite throw in a wrap add cheese enjoy

dont forget fresh food can last on the trail. If packed properly and care and attention are used fresh food will last quite awhile. Definitely heavier to pack and more bulky but the joy of fresh food on the trail is worth it to me.

dont forget about the condiment packs. They don't have to be kept cool. Easy to pack. Burn the garbage from them easily and usually the little packs of mayo mustard ketchup relish is exactly what you need to use. And now your not carry an open bottle of ketchup or mayo that needs to be kept cold..........I get my mayo packs from mcD's 10c each

Thread starter #44

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
That's also a brilliant idea! Simple things like eggs, I know you can crack and throw into one of those 510ml water bottles prior to leaving and it's good to go. Fruit like a few apples and oranges fresh. I know it doesn't all have to be dehydrated, but for the first few trips, getting used to packing that weight around I want as light as I can make it.

Thread starter #49

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
At it again! Have about half a pound of cranberries drying up now. Quite easy to do. Bring a pot of water to boil. Throw in a tablespoon of sugar per 1 cup of berries, throw in berries and boil for 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon into a strainer and place on trays. 9 hours from now they are going to be delicious snacks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Dave, you're a jerk. I ended up picking up a dehydrator off of used vic yesterday because of this thread. (to be fair I had been considering it beforehand for jerky)

Leaseman

Staff member
At it again! Have about half a pound of cranberries drying up now. Quite easy to do. Bring a pot of water to boil. Throw in a tablespoon of sugar per 1 cup of berries, throw in berries and boil for 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon into a strainer and place on trays. 9 hours from now they are going to be delicious snacks!

Why add the TBSP of sugar per cup?? Does it do anything outside of a slight sweeten??

Thread starter #54

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Basically that's all it did lol next time I am going to boil them for the two minutes then transfer them to a pot of cold water with sugar or honey to sweeten them a bit more

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Why sweeten them. I thought dehydrated cranberries were supposed to make your right eye twitch from the tartness. Tartnesstwitchin' is what it's called.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd