Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

cryovac's?

Thread starter #1

Dru

This IS My Life
What doo you got and how do you like it?

I have burned out my Tillia Food saver,,,, i never really liked it. It just didnt seem to have the thump to really clear the bag of air. Plus the resivoir kept getting full of slime when doing a trips worth of fish....

What do you use and how do you like it? do you got any tips?

G

G2BC

Dru. Check with Mr. Srupp.
I remember him posting over there regarding a food saver.

- - - Updated - - -

Jinx you owe me a beer Leaseman lol

We wrote the same advice. The same time.

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
We have a Tilla Professional, it has dual pumps...it works really good. A friend had 4 different vacuum sealers in his basement and everytime one quit working he'd go buy another one. BB(y) took them apart and all it was was a pin had fallen out of the pump mechanism. So take it apart and have a look inside. All of them had the same problem. To eliminate the slim try half freezing the fish or put a folded piece of paper towel in the opening before you seal it.

We went through a couple foodsavers before we bought this one....

http://www.amazon.ca/Weston-65-0201-PRO-2300-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B001GP81R2

Except that we did not pay that much, more like $400.

We have never looked back, amazing machine: we seal fish, meat, pepperoni, vegetables, fruit, chicken etc.

My buddy has the Cabela's one and it rocks as well

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/72240/cabelas-15-commercial-grade-vacuum-sealer

Bags from Costco are cheap(er), but you can get the bulk bags from other places.

Cheers

SS

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
We have a Tilla Professional, it has dual pumps...it works really good. A friend had 4 different vacuum sealers in his basement and everytime one quit working he'd go buy another one. BB(y) took them apart and all it was was a pin had fallen out of the pump mechanism. So take it apart and have a look inside. All of them had the same problem. To eliminate the slim try half freezing the fish or put a folded piece of paper towel in the opening before you seal it.
Wife says the same thing with the paper towel, she also thinks you will have more problems if you cut your bags on the short side. Ours is a 'foodsaver' from Costco and she says it's really good.

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
i forgot they are moving,, over to the old Ford dealer right?
When is the opening?

They are open right now. We stopped in there after lunch, it looks good but still some work to do. They will be having their grand opening early spring he said. I asked if they could put their flyer on our site for all to see and he said he would see what he could do. It's the guy in the Nanaimo store that does up the flyers.

Srupp

hmmmm no matter how much you spend you only have 2 options..

1) ceramic pistons oiless motors..yes even Weston..all you are getting is more aluminum better plastic..all these models will burn out.period. they also suck the air out of the bag..yes juices etc over the heat sealer bar and ito the motor..again not good.

2) chamber sealers..oiled motors . professional units, continuous run. mine is the Vacmaster 215 also available at adult entertainment stores O0OOOPS...
these units remove all the air and that 21 % pesky o2 that ruins food and shortens storage..all the air is removed inside the chamber..once the air is gone it double seals..and then the chamber refills with air..no chance of fluids getting to motor..this unit is over 100 pounds..

can set all perameters

mine is set for 40 seconds air evacuation, then 1.5 seconds heat bar, double seal ..then 2 seconds cool down..under 45 seconds per bag.

the Costco units bags ,rolls are expensive..chamber sealer unit I have has 4mm industrial bags..under 9 cents per larg 4mm bag

have done 2 deer and a pronghorn..with hopefully a elk in next 2 weeks or so..perfect every time will never freezer burn because no o2 left in bag .

powerful?? yes crush a popcan....hmmm $400 is a lot to spend waiting for it to fail...yet again..

no chamber sealers are not for everyone..but 3 friends get together..?

the chamber sealer Vacmaster 215 was $1100 with shipping from Ontario and 1000 11x15 " 44mm bags..

I was using ziplocks bags plus freezer paper plus tape...40cents or more per bag..lots of time effort..

now in close lid seal while getting next bag filled with meat..44 seconds later lid opens bag is sealed till I want to open it for still fresh game, fish.

one of the bags is dated and will be opened in 5 years..yes FIVE years..will still be fresh.

I get an elk I will do a photo step by step.

yes it was expensive but not nearly so as hunting for meat and buy 4 different sealers over the years and having bags fail or not seal...

cheers

Steven

K

Kudu1

Steven, am I wrong in assuming that it's the 21% CO2 trapped in the vacpac that destroyes the food?

Isn't the machine meant to suck all the H2O (including the CO2) out the pack - hence the term vacuumed pack? Am I missing something here?

Another point - it's not hard to change the chemistry of the air in the pack - simply enrich the air (I do it all the time with my scuba blends "nitrox") why not just blow enriched air into your ziplock bags and pop them into the freezer, won't this save the expense of the machine?

sorry for all the questions - I just have an enquiring mind!

G

G2BC

The Effect Vacuum Packaging Has on Food
Vacuum packaging aids in food preservation by removing air from the container the food is packaged in. The removal of air eliminates oxygen which affects food in various ways, such as odor, color, taste and texture and allows for longer storage. Certain types of bacteria cannot grow in the absence of oxygen. One of these types of bacteria is the bacteria that causes food to spoil. Since it cannot grow in the absence of oxygen, the normal reduction in the quality of the food is slowed down through the vacuum packaging process.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4886260_vacuum-packaging-preserve-food.html

Thread starter #19

Dru

This IS My Life
I would love a chamber sealer..... but it will be a tough sell...It sounds like that is what i want,, but i need to fina a way over the cost....

Yesterday dad was out fishing and boated the biggest winter he has,,, 18.5lbs and 2 7 ish lbs ers landed between him and Don.. last night i was listening to the cryo thinking of this thread.....
The unit will be split between me and Dad but i dont know i can get him and my wife on board for 600$ a piece..

Srupp

hmmm normal air...has a content of 21 % oxygen...by removing all the "air" you also removing that 21 % oxygen..the bag is sealed..now no oxygen can get in and allow the food to decompost..freezer dry.

no Kudu we do not want to change anyting in the air in the bag,, we just have to consistently and completely remove it . Vacume chambers do so the best I can afford..

835 bring up a deer and we wil butcher it and you can run the sealer..then you can decide whats its value.. or if I get a elk come help butcher and sausage the animal and use the chamber sealer

cheers

Steven

Srupp

Hmmm last year when we tried to double smoke your hams you kept coughing..oops
Steven

- - - Updated - - -

Brings whole new meaning to BC..s most friendly site..
Steven

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)