Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cooking a Pig on the Spit

Thread starter #1

Fear No Deer

MODERATOR, Sausage King
Staff member
Somewhere Hiding From Those Wascally Geese
Well my old neighbour is giving this a try and asked me to help him so here I am boys asking for your help any suggestions would be appreciated and any brines or seasoning as well, first time for everything so hopefully a few here have done this.

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Do you already have a spit to cook the pig on? I'll assume you do and have been told how to mount the pig spread eagle with a pipe stretching up it's butt and clear out it's mouth and have it secured/tied with wire. This needs to be done securely as the pig will shift when cooking if not.

I participated twice on roasting a pig and neither time did we use anything except lots of salt and pepper liberally rubbed in and on the pig. We basted it with the drippings that we caught in a pan under the pig and used some soaked wood chips to give a smoky flavour to the meat.

It takes many hours to cook and I can't tell you how to figure the time needed as I was never involved in that aspect of the cook. Make sure you have lots of charcoal on hand and move the coals around under the pig to heat up the areas needing more heat.

Also, I'm sure google will have lots of tips on pig roasting. Have fun with it, pace yourself with your beer and take photos to share with us.

Phil

sealevel

Long-Time Member
92385725-47d8-40f0-a3a9-23d20ddda136_zps7xgp4p4c.jpg i have been doing it for about ten years at our archery and black powder shoots . i don`t really have a recipe but here go`s
make sure the skin is off
rub the inside with course salt
then i mop it with a concoction of apple juice,garlic,soy sauce. hot sauce,catshup, mustard,and rye.
here is the most important...wrap it real good in some like of wire chicken wire or stucko wire.

and figger on about 5 hours on a low heat

Last edited:

Dru

This IS My Life
Man those look good. I would love to do one of them!
Sealevel what does the wire do? Just contain it all so you don't burn a leg?

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Man those look good. I would love to do one of them!
Sealevel what does the wire do? Just contain it all so you don't burn a leg?
once the pig gets hot it gets soft and the legs will just flop around and you will not be able to keep it on the spit ...the wire just holds it altogether ..

Thread starter #15

Fear No Deer

MODERATOR, Sausage King
Staff member
Somewhere Hiding From Those Wascally Geese
I see you still look as sexy as ever Buddy!! :Oh Yeah!: :kewl:

Nice job!

What is with the normal beer on your table??? :popcorn:
Mike it was a social meeting of the Church of the Brown Bottle LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Should have clarified, he posted a picture on his companies social media account with a similar tent in maple ridge. Jeremy from Pig BBQ?
Yes indeed it was.

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Making me hungry! I've always wanted to do a pig roast like that.
My parents used to take us up to a family friend that had a horseshoe pitch/camping tournament every year and they would do a pig on a spit, I think I was 6 or 7 the last time they did it, but I still remember it being delicious.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)