Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Christmas Dinner.

Thread starter #1

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
There are many, many ways to prepare Christmas Dinner. There are even more kinds things to have as the main attraction for Christmas Dinner....

Our choice is traditional - in that we almost always roast a turkey - and that turkey is usually way too big for the number of people sitting around the table. But - leftovers are soooo good.

136256551.jpg

In the past I have done a lot of thing to the bird..... deboned it entirely and stuffed it with all manner of things, cooked it bare (no stuffing) with apples and lemons in the cavity, and even made a tur-duck-en a couple of times. But - my favorite is to do a traditional bread stuffing inside the cavity and to lay a mat of interwoven bacon slices over the top of the breast and drumstix.

Bacon-Turkey-Roasted-BP.jpg

The bacon blanket usually doesn't make it to the table though.... too many helping hands in the kitchen. :Doh!:

picking_off_the_bacon.jpg

How do you do your dinner? Turkey? Prime Rib? Lamb? Goose?

Big Lew

This IS My Life
For us the last few years, we've gone to my daughter's for their traditional turkey dinner.
They're very involved in entertaining guests, and in doing so have become excellent cooks.
Prior to that, we varied our meal between turkey and wild goose. My wife is also an excellent
cook so I reap the rewards either way.:Oh Yeah!:

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
we have 2 different European backgrounds in our home so we cover two traditions........1) we follow German traditions my family celebrated with Christmas dinner and 2) we follow Peter's Danish traditions. I cook a turkey (rubbed and deep fried), and yes we still get my style of stuffing, a roasted honey glazed ham, mashed potatoes, carrots, new age of cooking Brussels (more people are eating them these days), dumplings, turkey and ham gravy, apple strudel, christmas stollen, Gluhwein (for the Freuerzangenbowle - fire punch)

Flaeskesteg (pork roast) with cracklings, roasted duck, candied baby potatoes, red cabbage, ableskiver (little pancake type balls you fill with jam and apple), ris a la mande (rice pudding with cherry sauce - there is a traditional game with an almond when this dessert is served), akkavit, beer, glogg (similar to gluhwein)

marzipan, German and Danish Pastries

we celebrate Christmas December 24th.

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Staff member
Our big Xmas Eve feast we roast, smoke or deep fry our turkey. But this year will be something totally different.

Here's a hint

chineserest1.jpg

Foxton Gundogs

Staff member
Don't need that, CC has it covered.
Invitation is open for any member here with nothing on the go on the 24th Just PM me or CC for details.

Last edited:

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Very Nice of you & The Lady Foxy! :Oh Yeah!:

We usually roast up a specklebelly goose for Christmas. But seeing as I did not get out to Alberta this year, we are sadly lacking the guest of honor this time around...

If any of you goose killers happen across a spare one in your freezer or among your harvest, I would merrily trade for something such as smoked salmon (or a choice of a few other delicacies if that's not to your preference)...

So what say you Goose Ladz? Any possibility you might be able to help?? :HUH?:

Hoping...
Nog

Thread starter #9

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
When I was younger, and my parents were still with us, there was always an Open House at their place on Boxing Day.... the fare was leftover turkey, freshly caught salmon, deep sea treats courtesy of two of the 5 children who were active in scuba diving, roasted wild duck or goose courtesy of 3 of the children who were active hunters, and lottsa salads to offset all that protein.

The ping pong table got quite the workout that day and evening, I can tell you!

Fella

Tall as a mountain thin as a pine
My wife’s family is Hungarian/Romanian so it’s a massive turkey, turkey liver stuffing, sauerkraut cabbage rolls slow cooked with smoked pork ribs layered in between, schnitzel, potatoes and cabbage.

My family mixes it up, we’ve done steak and prawns, homemade sushi, pasta etc.

uncle nip

classic turkey in the oven
moose roast
stuffed moose heart
and jigs dinner,
turnip, carrots, potatoes, parsnip, cabbage, bread pudding ,peas pudding ,dough boys , and of coarse a few big ol chunks of salt beef in the pot.
oh yeah almost forgot buckets of gravy.
my wife from Burnaby has really picked up on how to do an excellent jigs dinner,
but this year me mudder is enroute as I type to do Christmas dinner for me and the rest of da by's.
I just might be a salt beef junkie.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
My wife cooks up the best turkey dinner...with dressing and mashed spuds...I insist on having brussel sprouts and jellied cranberry sauce, with loads of gravy...and some steamed carrots..and lots of love around the table, ya, lots of love, that's the ticket.

Thread starter #14

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Us too Jim - brussels are definitely a part of Christmas dinner. My only regret is that I haven't had gravy for a long, long time. Something about the cholesterol involved... :hopelessness:

My mother used to make a Christmas dinner dessert that was called a "Spotted Dick" It is an English pudding, white in color with all sorts of currents, raisins, and fruit mixed into the dough. It then gets steamed until cooked and is served with a "Hard Sauce" I really miss my mother.....

Thread starter #15

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
I found a recipe today - and made it - that was a lighter fruitcake. I love fruitcake and am particularly partial to the light (or blonde) cake kind.

This is what the results were of my experiment...

Fruit Cake No2.jpg

20171211_184840.jpg

I topped the warm cake with an Egg Nog glaze to let it seep into the cake a bit.... It turned out fantastic. I'll remember and keep this recipe,

Steelwheels

The Wanderer
Mother and her Sisters always had a competition for making a Dark Rum flavored Christmas FruitCake..
I remember it was quite the serious time around our kitchen... Mmmmmmmmm
Sure enjoyed the treats at the Albrecht family dinner... :victorious:

Last edited:
Thread starter #22

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Basically, what I did was use the cake batter and add my own fruit and also the Orange Liqueur and the orange extract instead of the almond extract (which I didn't have). Oh - in place of finely chopped blanched almonds I added some ground blanched almonds into the cake batter....

Light Orange Almond Fruitcake

• 3 cups mixed candied fruit
  • 2 cups seedless sultana raisins
  • 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped candied pineapple (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped blanched almonds (optional)
  • 1 cup candied citron peel (optional)
  • 2 cups All Purpose white flour
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/2 cup butter - softened
  • 1 cup granulated white sugar
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely grated orange rind
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup Orange Liqueuer

1. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees F. Grease two 9" x 5" loaf pans with butter and line them with parchment paper. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl combine the candied fruit, the raisins, the pineapple, the chopped almonds, and the citrus peel; toss with 1/2 cup of flour and set aside.

3. In a different bowl stir together the remaining flour, the salt, and the baking powder. Stir until well mixed - set aside.

4. In a large bowl (this is your main mixing bowl) beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy - then beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Add the grated orange rind and the almond extract. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients.

5. Add flour mixture alternatively with the orange liqueur, making three additions of dry with two additions of liqueur - mixing just until the flour is incorporated between each addition.

6. Fold in the fruit mixture and mix to evenly distribute the fruit and batter. Pour or scrape into the prepared baking pans and smooth the tops.

7. Bake the cakes on the center rack in the overn. Place a shallow baking pan filled with boiling or hot water on the lowest rack of the oven. **place shllow pan in the oven first and then fill with the boiling water - that way it does not spill while being carried to the oven.

8. Bake cakes for 2 1/2 hours - keeping the shallow pan filled with hot water. When a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, the cakes are done. If the cakes begin to develop a crack in the middle - cover them with a lose covering of tin foil.

9. Once the cakes re done, remove to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool before attempting to remove them from the pans. Cakes can be wrapped well and stored for up to one month.

10. If desired, glaze the cakes with icing sugar and 10% cream mixed together to forma thick glaze. **it does not take a lot of liquid to form a glaze with icing sugar - about 2 tablespoons.

Variations:
  • prepare the mixed candied fruit ahead of time and allow to soak in brandy, dark rum, or liqueur of your choice.
  • feel free to replace the almonds with any other nut of choice - or go nut-free. If using nuts, toast them on a shallow baking sheet for about 5 to 8 minutes in a 300 degree F. oven before using - allow to cool before adding to the cake mixture.
  • feel free to add other dried fruit to the candied fruit normally bought in the store. Raisins, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and dried apple slices make for a nice change.
  • if using a glaze - flavor it with any liquid that you choose - egg nog, orange juice, apple juice, or just plain cream. Drizzle over the cake while still warm so the glaze soaks in.

newhunterette

Christmas Dinner treats have started..... I made Marzipan yesterday and chocolates today, German Stollen almost done and Poppy seed cake will be baked Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newhunterette

Wow! This certainly is your time of year Ali!
I love the traditions this time of year but it is also a way to keep me busy or I would be totally nuttier than I already am.....

I have made Marzipan since I was a young girl with my Opi and my kids expect it every year and chocolates I started as a fun activity to do with my nieces and nephews but now they are all grown up and I just kept making them anyway. Hopefully one day I have grand babies to do these sorts of things with.

oops went off topic a bit my bad

Foxton Gundogs

Staff member

We usually roast up a specklebelly goose for Christmas. But seeing as I did not get out to Alberta this year, we are sadly lacking the guest of honor this time around...

If any of you goose killers happen across a spare one in your freezer or among your harvest, I would merrily trade for something such as smoked salmon (or a choice of a few other delicacies if that's not to your preference)...

Hoping...
Nog
Done Buddy

Foxton Gundogs

Staff member
There are many, many ways to prepare Christmas Dinner. There are even more kinds things to have as the main attraction for Christmas Dinner....

Our choice is traditional - in that we almost always roast a turkey - and that turkey is usually way too big for the number of people sitting around the table. But - leftovers are soooo good.

View attachment 12710

In the past I have done a lot of thing to the bird..... deboned it entirely and stuffed it with all manner of things, cooked it bare (no stuffing) with apples and lemons in the cavity, and even made a tur-duck-en a couple of times. But - my favorite is to do a traditional bread stuffing inside the cavity and to lay a mat of interwoven bacon slices over the top of the breast and drumstix.

View attachment 12711

The bacon blanket usually doesn't make it to the table though.... too many helping hands in the kitchen. :Doh!:

View attachment 12712

How do you do your dinner? Turkey? Prime Rib? Lamb? Goose?
All I know about turkey cookin' is they need to "Chill and Rest" before cooking

image001.png

newhunterette

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr made butter tarts beginning of the month to get my Christmas treats started, went to go put a couple treat trays together, opened up the tart container and it was empty, empty................... somebody gonna get in trouble.......... now I have 5 dozen more butter tarts baking in the oven................ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

melt in your mouth short bread cookies baking in the oven...... my house smells heavenly at the moment

next up mini banana breads......

Last edited:
Thread starter #31

Bow Walker

Looking an Digging.
Not Christmas dinner per se, but perhaps for New Years....

The Atlantic Superstore (Loblaws) where I work part time has Prime Rib roasts on for the ridiculous price of $4.77 per pound this week. Yup, that's not a typo. They are in fact $4.77 per pound.

The first 36 cases of ribs that came in were - get this - Black Angus Beef, Canada AAA grade from Alberta. Do you think that they went fast? Do you think that all the staff had at least one roast put away for themselves? :rolleyes:

I have a good sized 4-bone roast with my name on it resting in the cooler as I type this.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
My wife has learned to make twice as much as she used to and hide half away.
She's very good at it. One of my favourite's are her shortbread cookies with some
type of fruit in a hollowed out middle. Sure doesn't help my waistline though. Even
trying my best I can't leave them alone. She cleverly thought she could slow me down
by putting them in a big tall jar with a small neck. One that I can put my hand in but
barely pull it out if holding more than one cookie. It does slow me down, but it doesn't stop me.

KTownKiller

This IS My Life

Hoping...
Nog
Sorry I missed this, Matt! I'd gladly give you a KTown honker for a tasty salmon! But I don't think you'd enjoy it much from here. They're only edible made into pepperoni!

Oh ya, and we have a traditional, stuffed turkey also! Sorry, no bacon though. There's already too much fat on the turkey for us!

Last edited:
Let the festivities begin.....kitchen is a buzz....
Looking Great Gal! small wink
I'll bet your kitchen is a Tornado of activity just now!!
And I well understand you would have it no other way!
ENJOY!! :Oh Yeah!:

Sorry I missed this, Matt! I'd gladly give you a KTown honker for a tasty salmon!
Not to worry Buddy! Ol' Foxy stood up to the task, and handed me off a fine honker for the occasion. Of course the bugger didn't pick it for us, but hey, what are wives for?? :highly_amused:

He's hitting the brine this afternoon in fact!
Methinks it will be another rather fine dinner in celebration! :Oh Yeah!:

Enjoy your turkey Buddy!

Cheers,
Nog

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)