Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Blueberries,,,,one of my favourites!

Thread starter #1

mastercaster

This IS My Life
This weather is just what the doctor ordered when it comes to growing blueberries. I imagine all the farms are selling them now. I know when I checked out the farm I usually buy mine at on Monday they hadn't opened yet but yesterday I stopped by and they were picking like crazy.

I'll buy 40-50 pounds a little later on for freezing but for the first few weeks I just stop by to pick up 5 lb. at a time just for eating and putting in my oatmeal. I must have eaten a couple of pounds of them already because every time I walk into the kitchen I'd grab another handful Such a good deal at $1.25 a pound compared to what they cost in the stores.

My grand daughter loves them, too, so I'll make sure to get another 5 lbs. worth when she's down on Wed./Thursday from Kelowna. Homemade buttermilk blueberry pancakes will be on the menu for sure that morning! Her dad and I had some last week but we had to settle for using frozen berries,,,,,still good though. Not sure a day goes by when I don't eat them in my morning oatmeal. They're definitely a staple in my house!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
And they're very healthy fruit! For many years my young family and I
would head up into the local mountains specifically to pick wild blueberries
and black huckleberries. Sometimes we would have to compete with the
bears and Bandtail pigeons, but we always came home with many buckets
of those delicious berries. Often, if it wasn't a terribly hot summer, we were
fortunate to reap a lot of blackcaps as a bonus. At one time, the Hemlock ski
slopes was a really good place, but I imagine not so much now. Same with
the upper reaches of Blue Mountain, but all the logging slashes have re-grown
to mature forest now.

KTownKiller

This IS My Life
5lbs.!? That's it!? :highly_amused: We get the big boxes! No fool'n around over here! :good on ya:

I can eat those little suckers 'till.....! Well you know!.... :kewl:

Last edited:

Steelwheels

The Wanderer
First name basis with a couple of Delta Farms.. Those berries are the Dearests Favourite..
Cherries are what I crave...
Sister is just back from Osoyoos and dropped off a 20lbs box on her way to Halfmoon Bay yesterday..:Oh Yeah!:

Thread starter #7

mastercaster

This IS My Life
5lbs.!? That's it!? :highly_amused: We get the big boxes! No fool'n around over here! :good on ya:

I can eat those little suckers 'till.....! Well you know!.... :kewl:
I like to grab 5 lbs. at a time because they'll usually last me the better part of week without any of them going soft,,,,,I like 'em so they pop when you eat them. And don't forget i'm just one guy plowing through them althopugh sako loves them, too. I haven't found a fruit that she doesn't like yet. Then I'll go buy another 5 lbs. and on it goes. It's only 5-6 minutes from my house. I always end up freezing about 50 lbs. worth but even then I don't buy them all at once. I like to ease into my summer preserves work! LOL

shuswapbear

Long-Time Member
You guys that live in lml make jealous. I wish I could get blueberries so easily without having to pay grocery store prices. My favorite way to eat blueberries is a handfull or 2 mixed in with cottage cheese.

Thread starter #9

mastercaster

This IS My Life
You guys that live in lml make jealous. I wish I could get blueberries so easily without having to pay grocery store prices. My favorite way to eat blueberries is a handfull or 2 mixed in with cottage cheese.

I love them that way, too,,,,,except I leave out the cottage cheese! Haha

KTownKiller

This IS My Life
Just teas'n ya, Brent! 5lbs. for one skinny dude is plenty, for a day or two anyway! :highly_amused:

That's funny that Sako eats them even! But then, I've seen evidence of yotes eat'n cherries!

Thread starter #11

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Just teas'n ya, Brent! 5lbs. for one skinny dude is plenty, for a day or two anyway! :highly_amused:

That's funny that Sako eats them even! But then, I've seen evidence of yotes eat'n cherries!
Sako has eaten every pice of fruit or vegetable I've given her. She loves peaches, nectarines, banana slices, and apple chunks but she's also wolfed down strawberries and pieces of cantaloup. She'll even eat a slice of a dill pickle. Let's just say she isn't fussy! LOL

jenn7210

300 MAGNUM
Blueberries , MMMMMMMM ! Pies, muffins, with icecream, or yogurt ...........:Oh Yeah!:

'coase the wife says the only good blueberry is a fermented blueberry .............. :highly_amused:

True they do make an awesome wine , about 8 lbs makes 5 gallons ............

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)