Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

Better eating.

Thread starter #1

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
The wife and I have been having this conversation off and on for quite a few years now. Eating better has always been a thing but I do believe we have decided to try and eat a little more "Strict". We aren't going to go full on crazy or anything but we are going to try and clean out the junk. Less processed foods etc.

We are even looking at mushrooms...And anyone who has known me long enough knows I feel they are foot fungus for the forest!! We are going to try and source as much as we can from local farms, hunting and foraging. Making as much use of everything we can. Canning, butchering our own meat and the works...I would love to say we are turning into homesteaders, but we live in a basement suite and don't have a yard hahaha

So what do you folks do? Do any of you do anything "over the top" to eat healthier? Where do you look for mushrooms? When? Do any of you forage for pine nuts or anything like that? Also random question, but are all our fiddleheads edible in BC?

Cheers!

Fella

Tall as a mountain thin as a pine
My wife and I are pretty healthy although we don't go to any extremes. We eat mostly chicken and whatever I kill be it fish fowl or beast and always with a veggie. I'd like to say I get most of our food myself from natural sources but we are just too busy to do that kinda thing. I figure if our protein is mostly lean and clean then that's good enough for now.

Thread starter #3

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
We are the same for the most part. We just want to make a conscious decision to live as healthy as we can. I grew up thinking hotdogs and crap was a meal. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking it's a meal. It's not horrible to have here and there. But we want to set a better example. We would do it by buying better groceries, but we did some seeking in the grocery store...And simple things that used to be fairly well priced are just ridiculous now. Would rather grow food and hunt than pay out the nose for things we can do ourselves.

Like I said nothing too extreme, but if we can cut corners we're going to. Canned foods, meats etc. Stuff like that.

Bow Walker

ALWAYS LOOKING - ALWAYS DIGGING
I can truthfully say that if it weren't for my wife I'd be dead by now. I have a history of heart problems that goes back at least 4 generations. If it weren't for her and her healthy eating habits I would not have survived after my 2nd heart attack.

We rarely eat junk food. About the only processed food we eat is cheese. We have cut way, way back on red meat and eat a lot more chicken, pork and fish. Lots of veggies - sometimes just veggies for the meal. I don't cook with salt anymore - we add it at the table and we use very little of it now. Everything is check for salt content, for fat content, and for healthy minerals and vitamins.

Our drinking is down by two thirds too.

Lottsa things that I never considered with the first wifey....

Thread starter #6

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Well glad she did it Dan! That's what I'm hoping to avoid. I've been pretty carefree about everything since I was 18. Drinking like a sailor, stuff like that...Heck, one of my routines when we got into San Diego was, have a double Jack n Ginger, hit up the McDonalds on base for 8 McDoubles (Double cheeseburgers) with bacon, and a 20 piece of chicken nuggets....Hammer all that back whilst drinking Jack n Gingers then head out on the town when I ran out of food for more drinks hahaha...Not healthy at all. Time to do a little "house" cleaning I think.

CF8889

I am by no means perfect (I'll put back a large pizza and a 6pack no problem). But I definitely notice a difference when I eat healthy. Hunting/fishing is great for getting healthy meats. Especially if you hunt a few different animals to change things up. Farmers markets are a gold mine too. We want to get a garden going. From a small area, you can still harvest a good chunk of veggies and spices! Depending on where you live, getting chickens could be a possibility. It's pretty surprising how much crap goes into the food we buy at grocery stores, so anything I can get that's fresh and local (or wild) is best!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd