Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

BACON!!!!

Thread starter #37

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
Finally fried up a Couple pieces. It was good, everyone liked it. I might try alder or maple smoke next time tho. Just for a flip

fingershooter

LOL! Great Job Buddy! :Oh Yeah!:
You'll have to let us know what you think of the flavor!!

For any interested, here's a reprint of the original recipe (from January 2013):

Home Smoked Bacon

Take one pig:

Process Accordingly:

Cut the bellies into manageable sized pieces (as Dru noted you want "Finished Sizes")

Create Brine (basic ratio - add or reduce according to size of load)

6 cups water
2 Cups thick Maple Syrup
3/4 cup salt
3.5 cups Demerra Sugar
Couple shots old dark Rum (everything in life goes better with rum!)

Piercing the fatty side in many places with a fork will aid in brine penetration.

The bacon-to-be should be fully immersed and flipped at least daily for a week.
Keep in cold fridge for the brine time.

Then remove it from the brine, well rinse, and set under the fans for an hour or so to dry the surface:

Then into the smoker at a low heat setting (~ 125 degrees F) to suck up some hickory smoke:

Smoking can range anywhere from 4 to 6+ hours. Trick is to infuse the smoke, but NOT to cook.

Set aside to cool after smoking. What Dru suggests about placing in the fridge overnight is an excellent idea.

Always a good idea to slice a little while still warm:

And drop immediately into a hot skillet

This is a somewhat sweet recipe. The bacon will tend to caramelize when it hits the pan, so care must be taken not to overcook. Flavor is Incredible IMHO! Bacon Candy comes to mind...

ENJOY! :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... A little elaboration on that Please & Thanks! small wink
OMG!!! This just may become the most popular thread on here. Thanks...mouth watering.

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Well I finally got to it!

7 day Brine of
Demerrara sugar
course salt
syrup
and RUM! not the gun, the booze!
Does it have to be Demerara sugar? Or can I use just plain old brown sugar lol...And what of the rum? I know it sounds amazing...But I don't feel like getting rum hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

I just picked up a small piece of pork belly to give this a shot. Going to make a brine tonight I do believe so I can smoke it next week and maybe cook up some bacon for the islander get together next week!

Bow Walker

ALWAYS LOOKING - ALWAYS DIGGING
I hear you Matt.

Although, some may not be into that particular flavour in their smoked meats or fish.

If white sugar is being used, some flavoring of some sort needs to be introduced into the brine to compensate. Regular brown sugar also works well - it doesn't have as strong a flavour as demerrara sugar does.

ScubaDave

This IS My Life
Perfect, good to know! Having used brown sugar in a smoker recipe already...I know it creates almost a candied product. If I cut the sugar in half is it fair to say I will get less of a candied final product?

Also for those of you in Victoria, was just at Quality Foods yesterday. They have 4"x4" pig belly sections. If you want larger just talk to the guys in the butcher shop there and they can bring in customs for you.

philcott

Mucho Gusto
We just returned from the USA and I stopped at Costco and bought a beauty slab of pork belly that I'll set in brine after I check the weight in the morning. I'll start a thread of my own as I process it. Looking forward to getting this done up to try.

Dru, thanks for inspiring and thanks to Matt for the original inspiration. Also, thanks to Mike for all the help and facilitating with this new smoker.

Fowl Language

SIR Dale, The Gander Commander CERTIFIED CB PIG
say chris, was that a slab of bacon i saw in your fridge in the taj mahal yesterday. i guess we will be sampling the bacon recipe you will be doing at the cabin. i have already arranged for a gourmet cook to cook your gourmet bacon during our stay on the goose grounds.

Bow Walker

ALWAYS LOOKING - ALWAYS DIGGING
say chris, was that a slab of bacon i saw in your fridge in the taj mahal yesterday. i guess we will be sampling the bacon recipe you will be doing at the cabin. i have already arranged for a gourmet cook to cook your gourmet bacon during our stay on the goose grounds.
Accompanied by gi-normous pancakes no doubt.....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd