Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home Page for Badlands Knifeworks and Cypress County Calls

BACON!!!!

Thread starter #1

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
Well I finally got to it!

7 day Brine of
Demerrara sugar
course salt
syrup
and RUM! not the gun, the booze!

as it goes in the smoke!

bacon 1.jpg

mmmmmmm

bacon 2.jpg

he it is after 4 hours of Hickory... at -+100F

bacon 3.jpg

I stuck it in the fridge to set up to make packaging easier

bacon 4.jpg

And all sealed up!

bacon 5.jpg

no idea what it tastes like yet,, going to find out today... but wow it was a fun thing to do... we have a new cryovac unit from Wholesale that rocks.... way more industrial then the old Tillia.....

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Looks great Dru. Was it that simple?

7 days in the brine, 4 hours of smoke and you're done? I might just have to pick your brain on the cut of meat and brine proportions.

Thread starter #3

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
it took a lot of Time Phil, but that is it.

I built the Brine and submerged the bacon chunks as best as I could. what I learned at this step is...... cut the slabs into the "finished size" you want before the brine, that way you get better penetration... I realized after the process the slabs were way too big for "weekend use" I didn't want to waste it...

so,
into the brine.... flip and stir once a day for 7 days.
then on smoke day, pull it out and air dry for a couple hours
stick on smoker and smoke for 4 hours at a low temp
after smoker place back into fridge for a couple hours to let it set up...... you can imagine what hot pig belly might be like!
then vacuum seal...

it was quite easy. I got the recipe from a fellow here who has been known to do bacon before.....
but really Phil, super easy.. I have a fridge in my garage for brining so it is real easy for me

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Don't worry I only have room for another 50-60lbs of meat in my freezer :) I can't think of a better use for it than bacon though

Thread starter #8

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
A guy at my work was able to buy some at a butcher. I think if you went to a proper butcher you could buy it...
the process is simple tho...

A resident of port alberni perhaps?
LOL! Great Job Buddy! :Oh Yeah!:
You'll have to let us know what you think of the flavor!!

For any interested, here's a reprint of the original recipe (from January 2013):

Home Smoked Bacon

Take one pig:

Process Accordingly:

Cut the bellies into manageable sized pieces (as Dru noted you want "Finished Sizes")

Create Brine (basic ratio - add or reduce according to size of load)

6 cups water
2 Cups thick Maple Syrup
3/4 cup salt
3.5 cups Demerra Sugar
Couple shots old dark Rum (everything in life goes better with rum!)

Piercing the fatty side in many places with a fork will aid in brine penetration.

The bacon-to-be should be fully immersed and flipped at least daily for a week.
Keep in cold fridge for the brine time.

Then remove it from the brine, well rinse, and set under the fans for an hour or so to dry the surface:

Then into the smoker at a low heat setting (~ 125 degrees F) to suck up some hickory smoke:

Smoking can range anywhere from 4 to 6+ hours. Trick is to infuse the smoke, but NOT to cook.

Set aside to cool after smoking. What Dru suggests about placing in the fridge overnight is an excellent idea.

Always a good idea to slice a little while still warm:

And drop immediately into a hot skillet

This is a somewhat sweet recipe. The bacon will tend to caramelize when it hits the pan, so care must be taken not to overcook. Flavor is Incredible IMHO! Bacon Candy comes to mind...

ENJOY! :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog

- - - Updated - - -

... we have a new cryovac unit from Wholesale that rocks.... way more industrial then the old Tillia.....
Hmmm... A little elaboration on that Please & Thanks! small wink

Last edited:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Thanks Matt. Methinks I'll be running some of this through the smoker before too long.

If I want it a little less sweet can I knock back the syrup a bit or should I try it as posted first, as the taste you say, is divine?

... If I want it a little less sweet can I knock back the syrup a bit or should I try it as posted first, as the taste you say, is divine?
You can. A Buddy of mine didn't like it quite as sweet as My Lady & I do. He cut back on the SUGAR, but left syrup and all else the same. It was OK, but simply wasn't as "good" as the original in my opinion...

Let us know what you think when you get to it... :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog

Thread starter #18

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
Matt I wil take a pic of the unit, you can see in the pic that it sucks the bag down pretty tight, wat tighter then the tillia and the sea is like 10x the size... out tillia seal was 1mm the seal size on this thing is 1/4"
way better unit... 450$ I think it was.... Dad bought it.

I forgot to add the dry for an hour before smoker step... I did it, but i forgot to post it!

Thread starter #19

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
I used pickeling salt Phill... and I stirred the Brine with a immersion blender before adding the meat...

I used pickeling salt Phill... and I stirred the Brine with a immersion blender before adding the meat...
Both Great Ideas. Any Coarse Salt will work. AVOID table salt or any with iodine (or other additives) and you're golden...

Looking forward to that pix Dru!
Looking for a Christmas Wish List Item... small wink

Cheers,
Nog

Bow Walker

ALWAYS LOOKING - ALWAYS DIGGING
You guys are removing the skin of the belly (rind) prior to processing, right?

If you process it by itself (whole or in pieces) and then cut it into 1 inch squares, and then dry it to the consistency of wood chips (very dry) and then drop into hot oil to fry (deep fry) you'll get the most amazing Bacon Puffs you have ever sent out to a certain address in PEI... small wink :applause:

Last edited:
Thread starter #23

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
yep, we skinned the entire pig..... some asked why ... but it was easy and made butchering as a whole easier for me...

Thread starter #27

Dru

2. I. C.
Staff member
its more the process for me, learning to make my own stuff.
I cant say im totally insane about bacon but I do like it for breakfast on the weekends.... and if I didn't have a pig to deal with I might not have ever tried it..... but never the less its something I enjoy doing.... like brewing beer.

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
its more the process for me, learning to make my own stuff.
I cant say im totally insane about bacon but I do like it for breakfast on the weekends.... and if I didn't have a pig to deal with I might not have ever tried it..... but never the less its something I enjoy doing.... like brewing beer.
Absolutely! I know exactly what you mean. I'd love to try making my own bacon (even as a take-it-or-leave-it bacon eater).

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
I don't even know what to think of you anymore wtfe
:highly_amused:

I love it as a "condiment", like nice and crispy and chopped finely and sprinkled on hot buttered perogies. Or right inside the perogies. I enjoy it once in a while on a burger.

But to just sit and eat bacon... I dunno. Maybe a single piece with my eggs in the morning. Any more than that can make me feel sick.

I've just had too many experiences of eating bacon and then wishing I hadn't - all damned day. Double bad if it is "maple" bacon.

I don't think it is the fat that does it - maybe the salt/nitrites.

This morning I spread a bit of rendered bear fat on my English muffins and then put two over-easy eggs (fried in bear fat) on top. No regrets, and man 'o man was it ever damned delicious!

Last edited:

stevo911

Long-Time Member
:highly_amused:
Maybe a single piece with my eggs in the morning. Any more than that can make me feel sick.

I've just had too many experiences of eating bacon and then wishing I hadn't - all damned day.
I kind of know what you mean, I feel sick if I eat 2 lbs of it in a sitting, but as long as I keep it under 1lb I'm good to go :Oh Yeah!: (just a little thirsty later)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Howard Carter Lease Ltd