Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Bacon cure?

Thread starter #1
I went to the Bradley site and their recipe calls for "Prague Powder #1". Can anyone tell me where I can get it in the Langley / Abbotsford area?

philcott

Mucho Gusto
I'm hoping we can make a quick stop at Stuffers on the wat to the BSBC gathering. There are a couple items I'd like to pick up while there.

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Wow is there a cure for bacon, I really should cut back on my bacon consumption but........
...............................................................................................................................
..................................................... :Doh!: oh wait I get it now.

stevo911

Need A Life
Wow is there a cure for bacon, I really should cut back on my bacon consumption but........
...............................................................................................................................
..................................................... :Doh!: oh wait I get it now.
You've got it backwards => Bacon is the cure, specifically for Veganism / Vegetarianism

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Dan, I received a recipe from a guy for bacon. It calls for 1 gallon of water/5lbs of meat, 1 cup of Kosher salt, 1 cup of reg. Brown/yellow sugar, 1 cup Prague powder No. 1

This seems like a lot of #1 to me. Does it to you?

Yes it does Phil.... Typically you use a 5 gallon bucket and put in 1 cup brown (or demerarra) sugar, 1 cup non-iodized salt, 1 cup of white sugar, and 1 TABLESPOON of Insta Cure #1

Personally, I would make it 2 cups of demerarra sugar instead of using white, refined sugar.

Put the dry ingredients into the bucket and add 1 gallon of cold water - mix well to dissolve the dry ingredients.

When the bacon has cured sufficiently, and you remove it from the brine, and dry it by patting off any moisture - that is the time to add a bit of flavoring.... things like pepper, maple syrup, or any flavor you like. Do this step and let the bacon pieces sit in the fridge - uncovered - so they dry for 8 to 24 hours. Then into the smoker.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Dan, I received a recipe from a guy for bacon. It calls for 1 gallon of water/5lbs of meat, 1 cup of Kosher salt, 1 cup of reg. Brown/yellow sugar, 1 cup Prague powder No. 1
That my Friend, will KILL you. :Yikes!:

Best be having a chat with the guy that handed off that recipe!! small wink

Cheers,
Nog

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom