Welcome to BIG SHOTS – BC's Friendliest Outdoor Forum.

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

B.B.Q. Tail

Thread starter #1

Western Ghost

1 tail
turkey syringe and personal brine mix
tin foil

scrape and wash tail thoroughly
Cross cross cuts on both sides of tail
Marinate tail over nite in fridge in brine
remove pat dry and inject with personal flavour mix
Salt liberally on top/bottom
Tent wrap tail and place on low/ med BBQ heat.

check periodically for skin blistering,when skin is all blistered up,remove from grill. Don't remove from foil,let it rest for 5-10 mins.
Remove foil and scrape off skin.
Unless your a fan of head cheese or pigs knuckles and such,this dish may not appeal to you. It's very fatty and chewy,I like it in the winter if I'm going to be snow shoeing into a back lake ice fishing for some speckles and need some long
sustaining calorie body heat on those cold winter days!
W.G.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Last edited:

Foxton Gundogs

Moderator/CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016....... Cedar BC
Can't say I'm a big fan, but it's not awful. The best I've had was brined in a salt maple syrup solution then cooked as described but smoked after the skin was removed then 'crisped' up a bit on the grill

I'm a big fan if jellied ox tongue, headcheese, and the like. But meats and/or fish that are really rich seem to always come back and talk to me for a couple days afterwards. Not a pleasant experience.

I can see the ole time trappers cooking and eating it though - they sure needed the calories.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom