I was invited out to go hunting yesterday with my friend who was tagging along with a co worker and his 18 year old son. I was pretty excited to say the least. Her co worker is an old school hunter who grew up in Saskatchewan and I was really looking forward to going out and learning as much as I could from this man. And... he was taking us to a great spot where they pulled a moose from last year. He had great stories to tell. Unfortunately, not all of them were above board.

The more stories he told, and the more he spoke about our hunt that day, the more uncomfortable I felt and I don't think I'll be hunting with him again. Actually, I know I won't be hunting with him again.

The good news? His son got a moose at 8:15 am. The bad news? It was an all day marathon to get this guy out of the bush and today I feel like I was hit by a bus. The other bad news? I left my camera on the table at home (note to self... add a disposable camera to the backpack). His son got a few pictures with his cell phone so if he remembers to email them to me I will post a photo if he's okay with it.

So at the end of the day I did learn a lot from this fellow. He had some great tips on field dressing, and I got to see how to quarter out an animal. I also learned a lot about myself. I know I am a good person and I am an honest hunter. The day's experiences encouraged me to pull out my copy of the regs and just re-read them and be sure of a few details I was not 100% on.

I am very grateful for this hunting forum and am comfortable enough with the folks here to be able to ask any questions I might have, without fear of looking like an idiot.

Here's to everyone making the most of the rest of the season :D